Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Postcard Assignment: Za Za's & Florence

In Front of the Duomo
First Day in Firenze


Sitting on the steps of the Duomo. It takes a surprisingly short time to walk around here. The Gates of Paradise are across from us. People crowd in front and hold cameras above their heads to get better close-ups of the panels. The detail is amazing. Competition can bring out the best in people, especially in temperamental artists. Although that can also go the other way. It's still hot here in Florence. Vendors selling posters spread their wares on the ground, adding another obstacle on your way through the thick crowd gathered in front the Duomo. I'm tempted by pictures of Boticelli's paintings, but it seems a difficult thing to transport back to the US. Post cards are the way to go anyway. I wrapped a shawl around my shoulders to go into the church. The gift shop was in a downstairs seller type room with no ventilation. The stairs to the top looked packed with people. I will go, but not today. If I don't go I will never forgive myself.

Za-Za's Restaurant
Firenze



Best meal ever, possibly in my entire life. Table of five: me, Michelle, Matthew, Junko, and June. 100 euro to spend. We get out a pencil and paper. Honors students to the end. 5 pasta dishes: pesto, gnocchi, wild boar, spaghetti, and ravioli with truffle sauce. Truffle is my new favorite food. Next course: pizza with pesto and truffle cream sauce. It was that or salad. Then, 2 meat sampler plates, followed by 5 different desserts. Stuffed with food. Unable to move, but so satisfied. I think I'll go back again...Truffle tastes like pure happiness.


2 comments:

jbull said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jbull said...

The truffle sauce is solid. Just downed my Second dish of it!