Sunday, August 19, 2007

How To Make Friends And, At The Same Time, Create Misunderstandings

I bought a pocket Italian phrase book to help me through Italy when I was traveling by myself. It was largely unnecessary since almost everyone spoke some English, but it made me feel better and I did learn a few phrases. I made the gesture of Italian, which I think is important and polite.
*
But anyway.
*
At this point in my escapade, I am at my friend Erica's grandmother's house in the suburbs of Naples where she (Erica) spent her childhood until she moved to Seattle at around the age of 12. I was in her nextdoor neighbor's (Flavia's) room with Erica and her brother, Gianmarco. I pull out my book and start saying random phrases in my less than perfect Italian accent. There is a section in the book labeled "Romance." I will not divulge exactly the phrases I used (many I would never say in English), but needless to say we were all rolling on the floor in laughter at the end.

No comments: