Thursday, September 20, 2007

Postcard Assignment: Campo de' Fiori

Campo de' Fiori
Roma


I can't believe it's the last day. The program has gone by so fast. I'm trying to fit in some last minute people watching from our balcony. I'm usually asleep by 2:00 a.m., so I'm not sure if it's usually this loud. The campo isn't very crowded but there are a few slightly drunk (I assume) and extremely loud individuals hanging around the flower stands. I can't tell if what they are yelling is English, Italian, or otherwise, but they are yelling in unison. The street cleaners have not come yet so the square is littered with the garbage of inconsiderate people. In the mornings, early, I can hear the clang of metal as the booths are being set up. It's comforting and familiar by now. I'm amazed people put all this work into setting up. Everyday it's the same. Put up you cart, arrange your wares, dismantle, clean up. I can barely wake up on time and hobble down the stairs to be on time. The campo changes drastically and rhythmically throughout the day. I'm thinking about all the mornings when the campo has suddenly become a marketplace while I was sleeping. And then it is all gone when I come back from class. Like magic, except lots of work. I'll miss all the specialty shops. The yogurt, the supplis, the flowers, the forno...Right now only the bars are open.


No comments: