Sunday, September 16, 2007

Postcard Assignment: Return to Florence

The Train Back to Rome
Florence


I'm actually writing this on the train back. A train I made just in the nick of time. I was waiting for my leather jacket, which was supposed to have been made this morning with lots of time for me to pick it up and get to the train. But it's ok. I'm here, and frustrated once again by the lack of taxis. Actually, the lack of my ability to get a taxi. You can't just hail them, and I didn't have the time to look for a taxi stand. I booked it all the way to the train station. Good thing Florence is so small and that this is my second time here. Otherwise my sense of direction would have required a separate train back to Rome. One last quick tour of the city. Past the Duomo, avoiding elbows and sidewalk vendors in front of the Gates of Paradise. Over the chains that make it so difficult to cross the street. Past the place where we sat to have lunch and were approached by gypsies. After The David. Through the leather market, by our first hotel I go...The smell of leather follows me. Erin had to leave her jacket too.

No comments: